I was copied on the following thank you note after an interview last week. Here are a few reasons I enjoy it so much…
1. Enthusiasm -This thank you note is brimming with the candidate’s energy and excitement for this job.
2. Specific to the interview – It is clearly not a “form” letter. By referring to what was discussed or learned in the interview, it engages the hiring manger. The candidate also reinforces how s/he could be a good fit for the manager’s criteria.
3. White space – It is a tad long, but there is enough white space and bullets to break it up. It’s easy to read and digest, compared to thick blocks of text. Some of the sentences could be tightened up. If you edit and simplify, you’ll often find you can cut out 25% of the words.
Good Afternoon (Manager),
I just wanted to say thank you for allowing me to interview for such a great company!
During my interview today I could sense the passion that you had for the company and how success leads to growth in the company which is what I was looking for! After our meeting, I played the interview back in my head as I do with all sales calls and realized that this company not only was a great company with unlimited growth, but was also the company that would be the perfect fit for me. Below are some of the reasons I would be the best fit candidate for the position
- Competitive Drive-My will to win is unstoppable
- Money Motivated
- Goal Oriented-I am always setting goals for myself and holding myself accountable for those goals
- Organized-Educated in Franklin Covey organizational system which has made me an efficient sales rep. I always plan out my days before hitting the field
- Commitment Objective-This one is very important, I always have a commitment objective of what I would like to get out of each and every sales call. The reason this is so important is so even if the customer gets off track you can still know in your head where you want to direct the call and that puts you in charge!
One of my favorite parts about the interview today was when you stated that you needed your reps to work extra hard to beat out the competitors like (x), I love a good challenge and I always love to out compete my competitors!
I can honestly say that I have made sure to do my due diligence on (x) and after seeing what a great company (x) is and meeting you today and seeing what a great leader and individual you are I realize that this would be a perfect fit for me!
Please inform me on what the next steps are in the interview process as I would like to stay on top of it and make appropriate accommodations.
Lastly, if there are any questions that you have for me please do not hesitate to contact me day, night or weekend and I will make myself available to answer them.
I look forward to working with you in the near future and again thank you for the opportunity to interview with your company!
(A very smart candidate)
What do you think of this thank you note? What works? What would you change?
“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” ~G.K. Chesterton